b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] TMR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] TMR
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 18:58:06 +0000

Jim,

If TMR in Hebrew meant "date palm" even though it has a sweet fruit, can you
explain the etymology of why that word was used in Hebrew when you say it
comes from the word "bitter" in Hebrew?

Also, are you sure that the place in Gen 14:7 was named after the cedar tree
because you think the word means "bitter" (in Hebrew or Ugaritic?) and
"strong"? Can anything else be bitter and/or strong? How do you know that a
place could not be named after a date tree if that place had date trees too,
if it really was not in Lebanon?

I think your proof is a little on the weak side, although I have never ever
ever studied linguistics. If you want to convince scholars, I think you might
need more proof than saying an ancient word in Ugaritic meant cedar tree
based on what sounded like the Hebrew word bitter and the Ugaritic meaning
strong, if I understood you correctly. Did you use the Hebrew word bitter as
part of your etymology of the Ugaritic word or are you using Hebrew and
Ugaritic to figure out the etymology of a Hebrew word TMR? If my questions
don't make sense, I am sorry, but I could not understand how you jumped from
Hebrew to Ugaritic when you worked on the etymology.

I think B-Hebrew is the perfect place for you to discuss your etymologies of
different words (some of the people seem overjoyed sometimes), but I still
think you should put together a book or a site with your ideas because
scholars, who I am sure can learn much from you, can't be expected to read 3
years worth of emails to learn your way of doing etymologies of words.

I am not saying I agree with you or even understand what you are saying, I am
just saying
that it is nice that you have new ideas on an old subject and you are forcing
experts to reconsider everything they believe by sending them so many emails
with your ideas. I have also been working on something like that, but I don't
quote scholars or try to come up with new word meanings and etymologies. I
just am amazed at how you have gotten so many scholars to answer you. They
won't give me the time of day.

Kenneth Greifer