b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Inflection or Synonym

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Inflection or Synonym
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 12:28:06 -0400

Randall,

I am sorry, but am still not clear about your argument. Here we have two different acts: BACAR (from which we have BACYR, 'harvest'), and BYCER (from which we have MI-BCAR, 'fort'. And there is also BECER, 'ore', which I leave out for now). Both are from the root BCR (what is the purpose of the dots as in B.C.R?).
Now, does the root BCR have, then, an inherent meaning ("etymology") that is genetically transmitted to all acts and names containing this root? In other words, do all words built upon the root BCR (or, for that matter, any other root) contain a "semantic kernel" which is the meaning of the root?

Isaac Fried, Boston University