b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] teaching communicatively

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] teaching communicatively
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:31:12 +0300

> In short, with the understanding of Biblical Hebrew still so uncertain, is
> it not hubris to claim that we can make an immersion method to learn the
> language and have it be accurate?

I like short.
You are welcome to stay in your own world, even though language is
normally a team sport.
Your words, always in English, also seem mutually contradictory.
You say "BH is so uncertain", yet you present yourself as thinking in it.
In debate, someone could quip, "Oh, 'uncertain thinking'." But that
is distasteful by not getting to the real issues.
That's one problem with discussing this in English.
One doesn't get to see or hear whatever someone is really talking about.
Anyone can say, "I know BH", and judge it by who knows what
standard.
>From everything that I know about psycholinguistics, and language
learning, and acquisition testing, one cannot expect any real
internalization if they only read. It's anyone's choice.

> Incidentally, my general impression of sentences you wrote in another
> message sounded stilted, like translations by students from English to
> Hebrew.

I'll take that as a complement. Go right ahead and fix them up.

A parable:
Two brothers were playing catch. The one brother asked the college
pitcher to throw a curve ball. The other brother obliged and threw a
nice slow curve. It dipped below the other's mitt and rolled to the
backstop. On retrieving he said, "Hey, that wasn't a curve ball, it was
a sinker." With a friendly shrug, the other said, "Whatever."

Have a good year.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org