b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] teaching communicatively

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] teaching communicatively
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 19:27:44 +0200

Hi,

On 1 September 2010 09:45, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> In the field of language teaching, often called
> "Second Language Acquisition", many programs are taught
> primarily 'in the language'. This is sometimes called
> 'immersion', 'partial immersion' (if a small percentage of another
> language is used), and 'communicative' language teaching.

my understanding of the term 'communicative' language teaching is when
exercises have an information gap such that students are motivated to
communicate in order to gain the required information rather than the usual
empty speech drills. My experience with these kind of exercises when
teaching English has proven their effectiveness but only when the students
are willing to cooperate.

> In the field of BH, most do not have a training that would
> facilitate such teaching. Yet quite a few have shown interest over
> the past years of moving in such a direction.
>
> I'm wondering what such people are doing in order to prepare
> for communicative teaching?
> How strong of an interest or need would there be for another
> teachers' immersion program of say,
> a week plus the weekends at both ends in early August 2011?

I can't make any promises but if I'm not busy at that time and am around in
Galilee next year I would be interested in seeing how you do these groups.

James Christian