b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 104:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: steve AT voiceinwilderness.info
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 104:19
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:12:00 -0700

Steve:

This is where we need to use Hebrew syntax rather than English. But even in
English, it is permissible if we add a comma, to indicate emphasis, “He made
the moon for appointed times, the sun, he knows its going.”

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Karl,
> I think it would be very bad writing in English or in Hebrew to have the
> 3ms pronoun on "his going" have a different antecedent than the 3ms pronoun
> of the verb immediately preceding it.
>
> The sun he knows his going.
>
> The context does not demand or imply that "he knows" means "God knows".
> Just because the subject of the previous verb is God doesn't mean He is the
> subject of the next verb. Varying sentence structure makes things
> interesting.

True, but when the context names God as the subject for several previous
verses, as well as the first part of this verse, you need to have more than
just a poetic sentence structure to say that God is not the subject of this
phrase as well.

Remember, in Hebrew, the subject can be anywhere in a sentence, the verb
anywhere in the sentence, the object anywhere in the sentence, true, it is
not as free wheeling as in some other languages, but it’s not like English.
So from a Hebrew syntax point of view, having God as the subject of “he
knows” is no problem.

Karl W. Randolph.