b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] TAM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] TAM
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:02:19 -0700

Randall:

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Take something like qatal 'fixed' and yiqtol 'contingent'.
> You can run with that pretty far, but it doesn't explain why
> Hebrew speakers didn't like qatal and wayyiqtol with maHar
> in the same clause. Sure, 'tomorrow' is contingent, but it
> doesn't have to be presented as contingent. "and he WILL
> come tomorrow." *vayyabo maHar would be predicted to
> occur, also *hu ba maHar.

One of the problems with the surviving corpus of Biblical Hebrew, is that it
contains very little in the way of conversation. Much of it is narrative,
which most likely skews the results compared to spoken Hebrew as it was in
Biblical times.

While it isn’t in the same clause as tomorrow, it is in the same context. 1
Samuel 20:6, 8, 18, 19, and I could probably find more examples.