b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Patriarchal Narratives was TD(L

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Patriarchal Narratives was TD(L
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 01:15:42 -0700

George:

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:01 PM, George Athas
<George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> The connection between Joseph and Imhotep is extremely tenuous. If you dig
> deep enough you'll find that there is no credible source behind the claim
> whatsoever. It's one of the equations made by Velikovsky in his radical
> redating scheme which does not have many serious adherents. To put this
> forward is, I think, to the detriment of serious scholarship.
>
> GEORGE ATHAS
> Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)
> www.moore.edu.au

I was introduced to revised chronology for Egyptian history by something
Manfred Bietak, the Austrian excavator of Avaris, wrote. He did not say he
supported it, but he implied that archeology seems to support it. (This is
one of those citations that I never thought I would mention, so I no longer
have the book and did not record the exact quote nor page number.)

David Down, a field archaeologist living in Australia, wrote in
http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i1/moses.asp that the evidence points
to a 13th dynasty Exodus, and he even names the pharaoh. So if Joseph lived
centuries earlier and did the things that Genesis claimed he did, the only
parallel in Egyptian history that fits is Imhotep. Who else from Egyptian
history fits?

Who cares who mentioned it first that Joseph = Imhotep? What counts, is
there evidence that supports that theory? The fact that both are listed as
having done many of the same things is a start, no?