b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Zion as a metahphor

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Zion as a metahphor
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:27:45 -0400

I'm stuck with it specifically as a metaphor. Not about question of the
various geographic locations possibly referred by Zion in the O.T. times
down to the modern time.

In the (in)famous Wikipedia, it briefly mentioned

'[Zion ....] and later became a metonym for Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem,
the city of Jerusalem and generally, the Promised Land to come.

I always understood it as a metaphor for Jerusalem, but the Temple (be it
Solomon's or Herod's)? Is there any source where I can be convinced of
this usage? Of course, I could not see any in that article to go further.

Thank your for your help.

Oun Kwon.