b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:47:37 +0300

<Posting my original reply to Garth on list>

Hello Garth,

Yes, I suggest that it might have entered the text through the original
authors.
But this is not necessary.  It is just a possibility.

I have given you examples of this use of ירושלים in the DSS.  So it must have
begun before the Great Revolt.

Seghol is not short e.  A seghol is a lower e.  In Masoretic vocalization all
stressed vowels are long.  So a seghol in a stressed vowel is also long.
Different sources I have indicate varying vocalizations -
1) Always sere
2) Always seghol
3) A seghol in pausal forms and sere otherwise
For example, my concordance writes 'Always sere.  Some books have (3)
but there is no grounds for this in the Masora'.

I think you're letting the evidence get ahead of yourself when you suggest
that there are political grounds behind the change.  Even if the coins were
the first time we'd find this spelling archaeologically (which they aren't)
this
doesn't mean this is the first attestation at all.  Also, usually spelling and
pronunciation changes come as a result of simple phonetic changes, and
are not politically motivated.

Regarding the DSS evidence please note the following section which
discusses the use of yodh for short vowels -
http://books.google.com/books?id=xm3mIIZ6E-wC&pg=PA157
http://books.google.ca/books?id=xm3mIIZ6E-wC&pg=PA159
This includes for example (p 159)  -
Is 36:2 שדי כובס for שדה כובס
Is 37:19, 60:21 מעשי for מעשה
Is 65:10 נוי צואן for נוה צאן
In all these cases yodh comes in place of a seghol.

So a yodh does not necessarily indicate a long vowel rather than
short, and the pronunciation of Jerusalem in Aramaic is with a long
vowel in the final syllable.

Best,
Yitzhak Sapir