b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Jerusalem: wild guess about meaning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem: wild guess about meaning
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 22:58:15 +0000

I have a wild guess about what the two spellings of Jerusalem could mean, but
I can't remember if I ever mentioned it here.

Yerush or yerusha (possessed) shalem (whole) or yerush or yerusha
(possessed) leyam (to the west)

Sometimes Jerusalem was possessed totally and sometimes only part of it to
the west. Even if I am wrong, I still think it is an interesting possibility.

Sorry to offer a non-scholarly amateur wild guess, but that is the best I can
do.

Kenneth Greifer

  • [b-hebrew] Jerusalem: wild guess about meaning, kenneth greifer, 07/06/2010