b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Qof vs Ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ratson Naharadama <yahoo-arch AT heplist.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Qof vs Ayin
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:44:59 -0600

Coming off the Kiddush/Edush thread, it reminded me of a sound change that --- if I remember correctly --- occurred sometime around mid-1st mill. BCE concerning pronunciation of Qop and `ayin in Hebrew. However, I can not recall which direction it went (qop=>ayin or ayin=>qop), or in what circumstances the sound change would occur. If I try to remember, I have a vague memory that 'ayin would sometimes, under some kind of circumstance, become qop, but... as I said, this is a vague, hazy memory. I think the hazy memory might be right as I can think of an instance in TaNaK where that may be a factor.

Could someone clarify which direction, what morphological circumstances, and what time frame this likely occurred?

Many thanks.

--
Ratson Naharädama
Denver, Colorado