b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ephron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ephron
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:38:48 -0700

Yigal:

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>wrote:

> Jim, if we are to assume, as you do, that the patriarchal narratives are
> historical,

Who says that he believes that the patriarchal narratives are historical?
Certainly not Jim. He believes that the author or authors took more
liberties with the accounts than did Homer with the Iliad and Odyssey. His
actions speak louder than his words.

> than it would hardly matter if at birth Ephron's parents named
> him "Bambi" or "Lord".

This is how those who believe the accounts are historical treat the names.

> He could still grow up to be a big man. Using his
> assumed status as an adult in order to understand his name would only work
> if you assumed that his name reflected his adult status.

And this is an example of how Jim believes that the accounts are not
historical.