b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ephron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ephron
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 17:30:42 +0300

Jim,

As George has already said, your theory is so full of "ifs" that its highly
improbable. I just want to emphasize one point: WITHIN THE BIBLE, there is
NO indication that the "Hittites" are anything other than a Canaanite
sub-group. There is NO indication anywhere that the Hittites are
"non-Semitic" or have anything to do with "Hurrians". The fact that WE know
that in the Late Bronze Age there was an Anatolian empire called "Hatti"
should not color our reading of the biblical text - despite the similarity
in name, biblical Hittites and Anatolian Hatti are not the same. Ephron the
Xitti ("Hittite") was a kind of Canaanite, and his name should be
interpreted accordingly.

This does not mean, by the way, that I think that the similarity between
Xitti and Hatti is coincidental. I just don't know what the connection is.
It could be historical. It could just as well be literary. But until we do
understand the connection, we should not base too many theories on it.

Yigal Levin