b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Initial Consonant Clusters in Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Initial Consonant Clusters in Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:21:38 +0300

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Jim Stinehart wrote:
> Yitzhak Sapir:

> You wrote:  “However, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Whenever we gave
> solid linguistic evidence that Jim Stinehart's theories were untenable, he
> simply
>
> ignored it.”

> Au contraire, I am now trying to refine my views of the Patriarchal
> narratives to comply with, rather than ignore, linguistic theories

> But Akkadian
> speakers were like the Hebrews, and generally avoided initial consonant
> clusters, with this particular initial consonant cluster never being
> attested in the Hebrew Bible.

You are ignoring right here everything I said about Hebrew permitting
initial consonant clusters.

> Based on the foregoing linguistic rule set
> forth by linguist John McCarthy, it is entirely predictable, obeying all the
> linguistic rules, that Ka-$ra in Kassite would come out as Ka-ra in the

Ka-$ra is not an initial consonant cluster, and Akkadian, Hebrew, and even
Arabic have no problem with a form "ka-$ra".

And Jim, all your ideas about the Kassites being Kasdim being Karaduniash
don't make any linguistic sense. (You don't need to explain to me the logic
you think there is -- I went back and read several of your messages before
I made this statement, so I understand your point of view entirely well.) If
you are looking for linguistic evidence, then linguistically, your theory is a
non-starter.

Yitzhak Sapir