b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fact of language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fact of language?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 20:16:41 -0700

Yitzhaq katav
> The statement that one would say yiltaHem (perhaps the hypothesized form
> should have been yitlaHem?) and another would say yillaHem is doubtful.

Actually, Moabite yiltaHem is correct, two times if I remember.
Just like in Phoenician, too. The consonantal 't'is after the first root
consonant. It's meaning is middle. The binyan occurs in Arabic, too,
where the 'n' binyan also occurs.

> For the word nlHm - attacked -- this suggests that in this case the
> etymology
> might be useful. The original meaning might have been nuanced as the more
> passive viewpoint of the battle -- defended against.

middle is the nuance. If you want to capture this in english, then
'joined themselves in fighting against'

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org