b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fact of language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fact of language?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:32:35 +0200

Karl,
biblical Hebrew and today Hebrew are the same language if for "language" we
understand its inner structure rather than its vocabulary.

Of course in biblical times there were no planes nor cars nor TV nor
computers. All these are present in our life today... so we need a name for
them...

Now my question is: how, by what means, by which way is it possible that an
active pattern (that in the Bible) has become a passive one in today
language?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I guess nobody on this list ... knows the answer to
this question...

Pere