b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "s.a.breyer" <s.a.breyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 11:00:59 -0500

>> Karl: "the art of writing words with the proper letters according to
standard usage" *** For English, this did not occur until the 19th
century.

Not so. English orthography was largely standardized by 1700, although
some of those standards were changed over the next 200 years.

>> Karl: when you cite data that is not online, you need to provide
access for that data that's not online.

Not so. This amounts to a demand that your interlocutors commit
copyright violations which would expose them to substantial penalties in
order to spare you inconvenience.

And by extension it amounts to a rejection of any standard scholarly
reference work. Before posting my first assertion, respecting English
orthography, I checked it against a quick glance at Weales' diplomatic
edition of the plays of William Wycherly. Am I obliged to provide you a
link to an online version, which you can perfectly easily look up for
yourself? And when you find it will you repudiate it because Google
Books provides only a "snippet" view? If I Fedex you my copy will you
complain that it's merely hardcopy and not searchable?

Stoney Breyer