b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 19:36:42 +0300

Hi,
> Why?

> If I write something, especially in a discussion to you, it's because
> I think it is relevant. If you don't read it, it's like you leave the room
> while I'm speaking, only coming back to voice your own position.

Actually your post was largely in response to Karl's objections. It was more
like me listening in on your conversation and butting in on the one point
that caught my attention. If you want to be offended be offended because I
rudely interrupted your conversation with Karl not because I didn't
eavesdrop the whole shebang.

> >> Specifically, did you follow up the links I gave Karl regarding the
> >> orthography?
> >
> > No! Any reason why you think I should do?
>
> Yes, they are relevant to this point that you are discussing with me.
> In fact, I think some of the questions you just asked are answered in
> those links! (That's how I figured you might not have read them)
> Not only that, you are asking questions about orthography without
> reading up on the sources I gave regarding orthography -- questions
> that are in part answered by those sources. Why should I repeat what
> a source I just gave said? The reason I looked it up, searched it, and
> posted a link, is exactly to answer those questions! Then you
> complain that because I don't repeat the information, I have an
> attitude that makes my posts not worthwhile?
>
> Here is another source, that deals with the variety of inscriptions
> found: http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/tb/writing_millard.pdf

Ok! Fine! I now see why you would want me to read those links. However,
believe it or not I do have a life outside of this list. Is there any chance
you could offer a quick reply? Whenever I provide you with information I
think could benefit the discussion I don't say things like 'read Genesis'
but 'have you considered Genesis 6:31 which says...'.

> >> Anyway, I think and as I see it, everyone who is familiar with the
> >> data set thinks
> >> that the data set is not too small for some conclusions
> >
> > People's opinions are of little consequence to the matter. What empirical
> > measure did you use to calculate the size of a suitable data set to make
> > which conclusions?
>
> What measure did you use?

Good! This is where the conversation starts to get objective. Before either
of us can make statements of that kind we need to define some kind of
linguistic apparatus. However, even if we do so we still remain with the
problem of the fact that there may have been standards for inscription
writing.

> >> -- such as that the
> >> spelling of the Bible including the Pentateuch is no earlier than the
> >> 6th century
> >> BCE. Also, the evidence is not just royal or official inscriptions.
>
> > Please elaborate if this is truthfully and demonstrably the case.
>
> See the link above. Also, what libraries do you have access to?

A quick reply will do. If I'm interested in enough in what you have say and
have good reason to doubt you are presenting an accurate representation of
the facts I'll take the time to go cross checking what you say.

> You
>
> > However, I do have reservations about what conclusions can be made based
> on
> > data from inscriptions. How indicative are Egyptian inscriptions of the
> way
> > people wrote day to day?
>
> I don't understand the question.

How so? You are suggesting that the corpus of inscriptions we have is
indicative of the way copyists would have copied scrolls or composed in any
particular period. There are many other factors worth considering.

James Christian