b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ruth
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 00:21:04 +0300

Dating a work by linguistic factors is a shaky business in Hebrew. Our
corpus is so small. If we are to form a dating framework based on what we
see in the corpus ignoring the possibility that different authors may have
used slightly different dialects/styles then the best we could ever hope to
achieve is that of making relative observations. e.g. book a is older than
book b or statement i in book a is later than statement j in book b.

It's good that you bring inscriptions into the debate because then we have
datable data that we can attempt to build a chronology around. However, I
still have reservations about the size of the data set we have available and
how sure we can be of any models we construct. I'm sure you would agree that
it is good academic practise to acknowledge the limitations and possible
errors when building such models.

Also, I'm not sure if I understand why you are wary of elaborating your
theories on list. Are you afraid someone will steal your thunder and publish
your work?

James Christian