b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 30:20-30
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 22:21:05 +0300

Dear James,

Neither your views nor mine of the theological "truth" are relevant to the
discussion. The only question is what the evidence of the Samaritan
Pentateuch's antiquity is. As you say, there was a temple on Mt. Gerizim in
the 3rd century BCE (although the present-day Samaritans claim that it was
not theirs). That's still 700 years after the division of the Israelite
monarchy.

Yes, you are correct that the view of both some of the Hebrew Bible and of
some of the Rabbis was that the Samaritans were foreigners, but there were
other views as well, such as that of the Chronicler. But even if they were
100% Israelite, that does not mean that the traditions that they held in the
Roman Period were the same as those they had in the Iron Age. The fact is
that Mt. Gerizim was unoccupied in the Iron Age, there was no Temple there,
and that other than the (Jewish) biblical stories about Dan and Bethel, we
have no evidence of ANY northern-Israelite sanctuary.

Yigal Levin

_____