b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Myth and Legend (was Genesis 30:20-30)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Riley <klriley100 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Myth and Legend (was Genesis 30:20-30)
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 20:02:57 +1000

You are assuming he is the central figure. He may be a small part in a
longer story where more action takes place. We simply don't know. Perhaps
finding the springs is all he did, but is that all there was to the story
that makes it remembered? You may be right that this is all the story ever
contained, in which case it is likely to have been recent, but it is still
only an assumption that what is given here is all there is to the story.
Can it really support the weight you seem to want to put on it? I suspect I
agree with you on the dating of the Torah (or at least its original
composition), but I would put this way down on reasons for dating it so.

Kevin Riley