b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Myth and Legend (was Genesis 30:20-30)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry" <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: <stoneyb AT touchwoodcreative.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Myth and Legend (was Genesis 30:20-30)
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:50:48 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stoney Breyer" <stoneyb AT touchwoodcreative.com>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 5:13 PM
Subject: [b-hebrew] Myth and Legend (was Genesis 30:20-30)

that is a bit different than basic genre identification. However, it's
still an odd question, &c

If I understand James' objection correctly I think it's a very proper
question. To the best of my recollection the traditional definitions
distinguish legend from myth not on the basis of origin in some sort of
historical actuality (which is the definition George advanced) but in what
we might term historical 'virtuality': legend is located **by its narrators
and audiences** in historical time. The Matter of Britain and the Trojan
War are legendary rather than mythical not because Arthur and Odysseus have
the same sort of documented historical actuality as Charlemagne (they do
not) but because his epos is securely placed by the narrative tradition in
'historical' time.

I also know of no classicists who would say that Hercules or Odysseus did exist as historical figures in that sense, only that there is a possibility that they might have. It's all very subjective, really, sort of like historical criticism... :) (Ducking and running for cover...)

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
Mentor, TNARS