b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Looking for a good travel pocket edition of the pentateuch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Franco <kevin.franco AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Looking for a good travel pocket edition of the pentateuch
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 09:10:18 -0800 (PST)

A few years ago, my friend gave me a travel-size copy of Etz Hayim, which is
available from Amazon for about $20.00 USD:

http://www.amazon.com/Etz-Hayim-Torah-Commentary-Travel-size/dp/0827608047

A description and reviews are found on the Amazon page. Etz Hayim is a
parallel Hebrew-English text, so if you want to read the Hebrew and not get
distracted by the English, you'll want to cover the English column with a
business card or a piece of paper. The text is a little on the small side,
perhaps about 8pt size, but it suits me fine. The coated paper used is of
good quality and not too thin.

This edition features a running commentary at the bottom of the page, as well
as short lectionary readings (tied to the Jewish calendar) from other parts
of the Hebrew Bible. As an example of the latter, one finds the First and
Second Haftarahs of Admonition (Haftarahs for Mattot and Mas'ei) between the
book of Numbers and the book of Deuteronomy. These comprise readings from
Jeremiah 1.1-2.28 and two short alternate concluding texts (Jer 3.4 or Jer
4.1-2) on pages 968-977. All the readings are marked fairly well and are not
overly cumbersome.

Hope this helps!

Kevin Franco
Streamwood IL