b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Must IAOUE represent 3+ syllables? PS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Must IAOUE represent 3+ syllables? PS
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:17:46 +0200

>> And Garth was correct to list LXX Ps 118:41 OYAY, though as a section
>> heading, one would want to check the manuscripts to see just which ones
>> included it.
>
> I looked up Psalm 118 in Aleppo, WLC and LXX, and I could find no more
>than 9 verses. Is there anywhere I can find verse 41? I use the freely
>downloadable version at http://www.crosswire.org which may have taken
>liberties with the LXX.

The LXX of Psalms joins MT 9 and 10 into one psalm, 39 verses long. All of the
following psalms are thus 1 number short out to 147. The LXX divides the MT
147 into two, producing a Greek 146 and 147, so that both corpora finish with
148-150 being congruent.

So checking an LXX, one would find a psalm 118 with 176 verses and
LXX 118:41 would equal MT 119:41.

braxot ERRWSO
Randall Buth

--