b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Must IAOUE represent 3+ syllables?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Riley <klriley100 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Must IAOUE represent 3+ syllables?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:11:31 +1100

Karl,

Your comments make it sound like this is something Garth has come up with -
mere speculation. It sounds a little different if you acknowledge that his
'specualtion' is built on centuries of scholarship, and that no one
seriously questions that 'OU' was pronounced as /u/ at least by the C5th
BCE. U was used for /u/ [or more accurately, /w/ ] only in diphthongs,
where today it is pronounced as /v/ or /f/. Later than C5 you are very
unlikely to have OU representing a diphthong. It had long since become /o:/
in all Greek dialects, and been raised to /u:/ in Attic-Ionic and some
others. From memory, OU is only ever /u:/ in Greek texts from the classical
period onward. In those dialects where /ou/ > /o:/ never became /u:/, you
find either a simple O or W, with U used for /u:/. There was never a time
when OU and U were confused by Greeks. U had become /y/ before /o:/ became
/u:/. By the Koine period, most cities seem to have been well on the way to
using OU for /u:/ regardless of how the original /ou/ had developed in their
dialect. For those Greek dialects that preserved /w/, either a special
symbol [derived from waw] was used, or /w/ was simply omittted - a practice
familiar from Homer. If a writer wanted to represent /w/ or /j/ in Greek
letters, what would he do? From the little I have seen of Latin names
transliterated into Greek, he would us OU and I. IOULIOS is obviously
JULIUS, and it seems safe to assume the I represents a /j/. I tried to find
examples of OU used to represent Latin initial U, but a quick search didn't
turn up anything in the books I have, although I know I have read of
examples where it was used. Yahwe, assuming it is the correct pronunciation
in Hebrew, could be represented by IAOUE. If the /w/ is the beginning of
the 2nd syllable, then U may have been felt to be wrong, as the A does not
form a diphthong with the W as it does in Greek AU. You are right that this
says nothing about the pronunciation at the time of Moses. But if it does
indicate that at least some Jews pronounced YHWH as /jahwe/ at a later time,
then it removes some of the uncertainty and speculation.

I am somewhat puzzled by how you conclude that evidence of OU being used to
represent /w/ is somehow evidence against IAOUE representing YaHWeH.

Kevin Riley