b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Salt Sea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: George.Athas AT moore.edu.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Salt Sea
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:42:27 EST

George Athas:

1. I apologize.

2. As to your public statement that “There is absolutely no reference to
the Mediterranean as the Salt Sea to my knowledge….”: (i) Ezekiel 27: 29
and Jonah 1: 5 refer to people who sail the Mediterranean Sea as “salts”
/MLXYM or H-MLXYM, (ii) Ugarit viewed Yam/YM as the god of salt water in
reference to the Mediterranean Sea, (iii) the Greeks and the Romans each
referred at
times to the Mediterranean Sea as being the “salt sea”, and (iv) in
context, YM H-MLX at Genesis 14: 3 is probably referring to the Mediterranean
Sea
as being the “salt sea” in question.

My sincerest apologies if I misrepresented anything you said, or if I
disclosed any confidence.

I understand that this thread is now closed.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois