b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Salt Sea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "JimStinehart AT aol.com" <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Salt Sea
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 07:09:48 +1100

Actually, no Jim, I did not ask you offlist if you had any objective basis
for seeing the Salt Sea as the Mediterranean Sea. Firstly, I find it highly
inappropriate that you've brought part of a private exchange into the public
forum here without seeking my permission beforehand. This is just very poor
form. Secondly, now that you have brought it into the public forum, let me
clarify for the entire membership of the list that I did not ASK you anything
regarding this. This is what I said to you:

"There is absolutely no reference to the Mediterranean as the Salt Sea to my
knowledge, but there are plenty of references to the Dead Sea as the Salt Sea
(do a biblical and extrabiblical search)."

I do not see any question being asked in that statement, nor any sanction to
bring it into the public eye.

Thirdly, the way you have shaped the evidence in your post would mean that
even the Red Sea could be seen as the Salt Sea. Your whole theory simply does
not work. It really does approach the absurd.

Fourthly, I think a public apology from you is warranted in these
circumstances.

Fifthly, this thread is now closed.

GEORGE ATHAS
Co-Moderator, B-Hebrew