b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ANE Myth and Torah
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:40:07 +1100

James,

I agree that a polytheistic reading of these verses goes largely against the
grain of the Pentateuch. However, this does not mean that the words could not
have been adapted from an original polytheistic setting and 'baptised' into
orthodox Yahwism. After all, we do know that many Israelites worshipped
Yahweh within the context of a pantheon (cf. Kuntillet Ajrud, Elephantine,
etc.).

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au