b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalms 78:35 One God or Two Gods

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dianne Burke <biblestudy.burke AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalms 78:35 One God or Two Gods
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:57:52 +0800

Hello Sirs,

I was discussing a verse in Psalms with a gentleman who brought up an
interesting idea or theory which I found not quite convincing.

The verse in question refers to Psalms 78:35

"And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their
redeemer."

I was told that here we have a rock that was God, and also someone referred
to as a "high God" which means higher in authority than the other. Not two
God's, but both God while one is higher than the other.

Now, my knowledge of Hebrew is limited but isn't it true that the language
often uses what's called parallelism? I was trying to explain to this
person that this verse is not talking about two deities, one being higher
than the other but it was in fact speaking about the One God being referred
to both as a "high God" and also the "redeemer".

Can you please clarify this for me and also explain, perhaps the use of
parallelisms used in the Hebrew?

I appreciate your help in advance.

Dianne Burke