b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Gen 10:25 dividing the earth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Doug Belot" <dbelot AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Gen 10:25 dividing the earth
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:53:01 +1000

Perhaps i should begin by an apology for dashing in where angels fear to tread , I love your emails back and forth about all sorts of areas of Heberew , sometimes that have quite a bit of value for me , I am sure they are valuable to you all

Now my query is hebrew language related in that I want to know , if possible , does Gen 10:25 when speaking of dividing the earth actually mean what it says , and thus explaining the different languages world wide , and the differernt animals , Kangaroo , in Aus ' Zebra in Africa , etc.

Did the existing "earth" as a round ball divide into different areas , can we safely believe that this is what is written and thus this is what it is meant to be from what is written here in Gen 10:25 , or will your ability to rip it into segments of constanants make this implausible.

doug belot

----- Original Message ----- From: "Noam Eitan" <noameitan AT yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:12 AM
Subject: [b-hebrew] better concordance than Even-Shoshan?

Dear list members,

I had many situations over the years where I couldn't find a word in Abraham Even-Shoshan concordance. The latest was when I tried to locate "me'ashpatot yarim evyon" (can't remember where it is in the HB [has to be a Psalm] or translate it) - ashpatot is not mentioned at all, only ashpa, and I could not find the verb yarim in any form, in any binyan. Is there a better, really complete Hebrew concordance of the HB?

thanks,

Noam Eitan, Brooklyn, NY