b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kitchen 1998 answer to Athas 2010 point

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kitchen 1998 answer to Athas 2010 point
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:00:48 -0800

George:

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 4:52 AM, George Athas
<George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> Karl, your theory is quite circular.

Call it what you wish, but on my side, it comes down to what message is
imparted by the Hebrew words, phrases, grammar and so forth. Whether one
accepts them or not is a theological question, but it is a linguistic
question as to what is actually said and implied.

> I'm not going to get into a discussion on the authorship of Genesis and
> Exodus, other than to say that you assume a particular authorship and this
> leads you to your conclusions, and this is not good methodology.

Is it a mere assumption, or is this backed up by evidence? If mere
assumption, then you are right, it is not good methodology. If there is
evidence, then good methodology will take that evidence into account. In
reading the text, I see what I understand as evidence apart from assumption,
and it is a theological position whether or not to follow that evidence.
That is not circular.

> And by the way, I really don't see how you can conclude anything about my
> theological leanings.

Statements such as what you said have been connected with certain
theological beliefs, and while I have not delved in detail as to what you
believe (I think it is off limits for this list), the way you say them
indicates that you agree with those theological beliefs.

> You've shown many times in the past that you've completely misunderstood
> them, and when I go to explain them to you, you dismiss them as mere
> rhetoric with no meaning.

“Actions speak louder than words” is an old English proverb. You have
claimed certain beliefs, but then you contradict yourself by other
statements that appear to be your actual beliefs that you act on.

> So please don't bring my theological leanings into it at all.

I won’t, if you don’t.

My comment was merely in reference to the theological position inherent in
the statement that you made. I intended that that was all I would say on the
subject.