b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The King's road

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The King's road
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:13:36 +0000

That was one of the follow up questions I wanted to ask. Who does the King
refer to? I've seen a map tracing the route of this road from Egypt to Eilat
on the Gulf of Aqaba and then up North through lands we associate with the
Edom, Moab and Ammon of the day of the Moses presented in the Torah.
Although, it's not entirely clear what 'evidence' these depictions of the
road are built on. If there was such a road in the day of Moses could it be
called the 'King's' road because of the importance of the Egyptian empire?
Could it have been a designated route to the King (Pharoah) or have been
'built' (marked out) by the Pharoah for trade routes?

In terms of actual evidence what do we have? If the road was never built
what archeological evidence do we actually have of such a trade route? Apart
from the references in the Torah what ancient sources do we have that talk
about the road that we can get any clues from? Also, wouldn't the clues in
the Torah suggest a single road with a particular route rather than two
separate roads? And even if they were two different roads with a designation
for public passage through a country wouldn't it make sense that they
connect with each other in some way?

thanks
James Christian