b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Narrative vs Poetry

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Narrative vs Poetry
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:35:10 +0200

> [RB]
>> So you are saying that y.r.d. can have a derived adjective *rad.
> So I am asking show another 1st-y- root with such an adjective.
> You haven't produced one, just philosophized.

[KarlR]
> Of those derivatives from peh-yod roots where the yod is dropped,
> it appears that they have their heh or tau suffixes for reasons
> other than that they dropped their yods.

[RB]
the opposite is true. the only place that you find yod dropping is
where something else provides an extra ballast.
consequently, it is morphologically unsupported to claim that
rad is an adjective from y.sh.b.

[KarlR]
>> [RB]
>> So now you need to explain how shuv with "b" means 'return within'.
>> This does not explain the sense of shuv
>> with 'b', because shuv points to an origin while 'b' is only a means and
>> not the goal (or metaphorically negative 'against'),

[KarlR]
>You are a professor of Hebrew, and you forget that the B- prefix is often
>used locatively?

[RB]
An ad hominem attack is not an answer. Like above, your English
claims about your Hebrew are are coming through hollow. It is
illegitimate with languages to separate words, provide translations
in another language, and then claim that 'a composite foreign
translation' is what the whole phrase means.
Either show "shuv b-" with your meaning or admit having no
support, ancient or modern.

It looks like the thread has run its course.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org