b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The King's road

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The King's road
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:08:44 +0200

There are really three different but related issues here:

1. The biblical term "derekh hammelekh" and which road does it refer
to.
2. The Transjordanian highway through history.
3. How do we know about ancient roads in general?

I'll begin with the third. As I wrote before, "building" roads, setting up
milestones etc. only began with the Romans. Before the Romans, we have very
little direct archaeological evidence, and most of what we do have is
inferred. There really were no "roads", mostly routes that people took to
get from point A to point B. We can reconstruct the route by looking at the
geography and seeing what the most logical route would be, but if the roads
were not really marked, not everyone would take the exact same paths, and
such changing factors as villages, fields, farms as so on would cause
changes in the specific path. The exception is in hilly or rocky terrain
where stones would be removed from the road to its sides, forming a
"mesilah", or at the fords of major streams (of which there are not many in
Israel), where a very specific place would be used by everyone. There is
also circumstantial evidence, such as remains of caravanserai or "roadside
fortresses", but these are often difficult to identify. So most of what we
really know is based on mapping out the towns that a road system would
serve, understanding the terrain and matching that with written (biblical
and other) references which happen to mention someone taking this or that
road.

The main Transjordanian road which is often known as "The King's Highway" is
well documented. Since there are a series of major towns along the center of
the Transjordanian plateau, we can trace the most logical route between
them, try to understand the relationship between towns and roads, and use
the many references to people travelling along all or part of this route
(including Gen. 14:5-6, whether this be historical or fictional, the writer
did know something of the geography of the area). Plus, there is actual
physical evidence from later periods and since the geography is the same, it
makes sense that the road is too. It probably is the road assumed in Num.
21:22, but as I've written, I don't think that "derekh hammelekh" is a
proper name for this particular road, but rather a type of road - the "royal
(meaning public) road" - as opposed to private property which Moses promised
not to enter. Which means that it was not named for any particular king, but
rather for the office.

Yigal Levin

_____