b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Narrative vs Poetry

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Narrative vs Poetry
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 05:48:21 -0800

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> In Judges we can simply read as it is: "rad",
> presumably from a root r.d.d. with a meaning similar to y.r.d.
> So in Judges we have a rare dialectical word that isn't otherwise used.
> But it is attested in the ktiv and MT.

I take this as an adjective, not a verb, where the dropping of the initial
yod of the root is found in other words as well. There is no need to take it
as either dialectal or to invent a new root as a homonym of RDD.

> [PS: out of curiousity I checked Qaddari, Milon to see if he might have
> a note. He pointed out that in Jer 42.10 we have an infinitive "shov".
> In that verse we have the complement shov teshvu instead of
> yashov teshvu. So "hey!", we have two witnesses for a dialectical
> shav yashuv with the meaning 'reside/live'. I will now go with the
> homonym understanding, though I'm leaving the rest of this note
> for completion.]

This is from the verb “to return”. The people had left their farms and towns
and were ready to flee to Egypt. Jeremiah urged the people to return in the
land to where they came from.

> The MT exists, and as this example shows, they preserve things
> that they themselves couldn't explain. It would have been easy,
> both linguistically and theologically to simply vocalize like Ps 27.
> 4 "shivti bevet ha-shem". But they didn't take the easy road,
> fortunately for us.

Or maybe unfortunately for us.

Before I stopped reading a pointed text, I noticed several examples where
the Masoretes pointed incorrectly as far as meaning is concerned. But
because I was just into reading and not into analysis, I didn’t record those
examples.

I take this as one example of where it is incorrectly pointed as far as
meaning is concerned. This is a noun with an implied “to be”, making the
Psalm open and close with with implied “to be”.