b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Narrative vs Poetry

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Vadim Cherny <vadimcherny AT gmail.com>
  • To: bjwvmw AT com-pair.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Narrative vs Poetry
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 23:46:35 +0200

I don't see anything questionable about those verbs, Dishanta is a simple past tense because the psalmist had already been anointed. Veshavti should be read literally, "and + past tense", and denotes a highly assured prediction, which is practically done. Note that major commandments are often formulated as weqatal.

I recall reading a book on English rhetoric which showed on Shakespeare's many quotes the mixture of tenses in poetry, which it said was a common rhetoric device with some obscure name that I won't recall easily.

Vadim Cherny

Bryant J. Williams III wrote:

For instance, in Ps. 23, all the finite verbs are PC1 except for v. 5,
‏dishanta. (The questionable form veshavti in v. 6 I leave out).