b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Language modelling

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Language modelling
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:38:57 +0100

Dear Barry,

Because we can know very little about the issue under discussion, I have only made a cursory reading of the posts. Your post caught my attention, I therefore I commented on it. If James or anyone else has attacked other list-members, that should be criticized as well.

In Proverbs 30:18 (NIV) in the Bible we read: "There are three things that are too amazing for me, four that I do not understand." The text refers to different phenomena in the animal world. With reference to the human world, I would say: "There are two things that are too amazing for me, yes, two things that I do not understand."

The first thing is why intelligent people so often allow themselves to be carried away by their emotions, when they discuss linguistic and other matters on a list like b-hebrew. The second thing is why intelligent people so often appeal to scholarly consensus and to 150 years of research as if this was the truth and nothing but the truth.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo