b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phonemes versus phones

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phonemes versus phones
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:25:21 -0800

James:

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 7:40 AM, James Christian
<jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>wrote:

> … Could it be that our modern
> perception of consonants and vowels is influencing our theories on the
> perception of the ancients who implemented this alphabet.
>
> James Christian
>
> Yes!

Less than 24 hours ago, Yitzhak Sapir, our resident literature discovery
wizard, posted a link to an interesting article that show how people, with
no linguistic knowledge nor ability to read (other than recognizing that
other people used symbols on paper to read) perceived the minimal units of
language to encode in their writing systems. That link is:

http://www.thewritingcode.com/pages/transcripts/daniels.html

I think this has implications as to how we perceive the Hebrew alphabet.