b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gerry Folbre <gfolbreiii AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:06:47 -0700

Shalom, Naama:

I fully realize that most if not all of you here will be unreceptive to the
idea(s) I am hoping to discuss. These idea(s) are not what you have been
taught and therefore are not what is commonly construed from this particular
Hebrew narrative.

Naama: I comprehend what you, K Randolph, and Yigal are sharing with me. I
have read E.A. Speiser’s Genesis commentary, as well as Nahum M. Sarna’s
Genesis commentary and both convey similar ideas to what I am hearing from
the three of you.

I am not looking for an “argument”, only a fair discussion of idea(s).

Naama, you state above that עפר מן־האדמה “can be dry or moist, and it can be
formed.” I cannot find anywhere in the Hebrew Tanakh where עפר מן־האדמה is
specifically designated as “moist” or where it is used as a material of the
earth that is used for ‘forming’ vessels. I am fully aware that עפר is used
to describe the “surface of the ground”, and that it can also be understood
as “soil.” I have not found where עפר is used to describe “wet, irrigated
soil on the surface of the ground” or where עפר is used in a “forming
process.”

The Gesenius O.T. Lexicon and the BDB O.T. Lexicon both describe
עפרemployed in Gen. 2:7 as, “dust, dry earth”; “dry earth, dust”.

Furthermore, if עפר is what all three of you are suggesting, then why
is עפרnot used in Gen. 2:19?

All the best,

Gerry Folbre