b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: nxzaha AT wm.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:05:15 -0500

Naama,

Ground sounds good. Compare the root עפר with the roots אפר, אבר, עבר, עור, פרר, ברר.

Isaac Fried
Boston University

On Nov 10, 2009, at 2:44 PM, Naama Zahavi-Ely wrote:

Shalom!

The problem is that you are dealing through English with something for which there is no good English term. I run into this problem every year as I read the text of Genesis 1-3 with intermediate Hebrew students. "Afar," which is translated as "dust," is actually not (dry, wind-blown) dust but rather earth/soil as material -- that is, the collective term for particles of earth that one can pick up and pinch between one's fingers. It can be dry or moist, and it can be formed. I have not been able to find a better English word -- every possibility I can think of has other connotations that are misleading (ground? earth? soil?).

I also agree with Yigal's reasoning -- you can't apply Aristotelian logic to the Hebrew Bible (or for that matter to most usage of any language). But in this case, the argument is not necessary.

Best wishes

Naama Zahavi-Ely
College of William and Mary

Message: 3