b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Light be made versus Let there be light.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Teague" <cosmos AT intergate.com>
  • To: "James Christian" <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Light be made versus Let there be light.
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:03:03 -0500

James wrote:

Sorry for the delay in reply. Been busy lately with transfers to new
universities. I'm now doing a new PhD at Essex with a first year MA in
computational linguistics. Should be fun. Anyway, on with the discussion...

Some time ago Steve made the question below and expanded on it off list to
me. He said he wouldn't mind me answering on list.

Just to make things clear I am not advocating that Wycliffe's translation
was superior to Tyndale's. Neither am I advocating the reverse. In fact I am
not advocating anything. The issue is far from resolved in my mind. My
intention was to stimulate discussion to help me resolve the question. The
way I see it is this:

We are clearly attempting to translate a situation which does not occur in
everday life and so is difficult to find corresponding natural language
equivalents of as ideal target language translations. My understanding is
that Tyndale 'invented' the English idiom 'Let there be...' for this very
reason. So the question is this. Was the Hebrew also an example of such rare
and funny sounding language? I have reason to believe it wasn't. Did Moses
(or the author) make up a funny sounding Hebrew expression to express this?
Or did he reuse easily understood formulas and forms? I am not certain but I
think he did. Can anybody suggest any similar formulas or forms from other
parts of the Tanakh? If so, this would seem to suggest implications about the
register of the language used in the creation account.

In conclusion, I have no answers. Only more questions. The Greek
translations show one understanding. That understanding seems to be echoed in
the Latin. Wycliffer attempted to echo that Latin and Tyndale concluded that
the English of his day had no form corresponding to the Hebrew and so coined
a new phrase. What do the list members think? Was Tyndale justified in
coining a new phrase? Is the register in Hebrew equally strange?

James Christian

Steve writes:

Since no one else has responded to your questions, I want to add two more
to the mix.

From a gramatical point of view, I read that the word in question is a
jussive form of the verb and indicates a mild command or strong wish. What or
whom is being commanded? Is light being commanded? Or is it something else?
Tyndale's translation might indicate, or at least allow for the possibility
that it is something else besides light, but Wycliffe's seems to say that it
is light. From that perspective it seems to me that the two translations are
radically different. Does the text allow for each?

Additionally, can these questions be answered from the text alone? Lurking
on the list suggests to me that answers from the text of any part of the
Hebrew Bible are sometimes difficult to come by, and this is doubly true for
Genesis 1 and 2, which suggests another question for these two chapters in
particular: Might it be that the purpose of Genesis 1 and 2 is (partly) to
generate questions, since that is mostly what even educated gramarians and
such come up with?

At every turn in the subject verses questions pop up that seem planned, and
un-answerable from the text alone. For example: the very first word
(bereshyth: in beginning) leaves many open questions (in fact, there have
been many arguments about even what the questions should be). I find many
different answers, but none with across the board acceptance. The same is
true for "day" in later verses, and many others.

Thanks,

Steve Teague