b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Light be made versus Let there be light.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Light be made versus Let there be light.
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:57:42 -0700

Steve:

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Steve Teague <cosmos AT intergate.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Karl. I have read other explanations, and it is difficult for a
> lightweight (or no weight at all) to know exactly what the text will
> support. Hence my interest in this list. But I suspect that in some matters
> there are multiple views based upon questions about the text (such as those
> expressed in HALOT for bereshyth) that are difficult to choose between based
> upon just the text as it is presently understood. Do you see it this way, or
> do you feel that it is all pretty much cut-and-dried?
>
> Linguistically, I think it is pretty much cut-and-dried. Where we have
problems is where some people have à priori ideas as to how the text is to
be understood, so they try to squeeze the text into their ideas.

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>

Both, actually, though in this case the context has the louder voice.

>> As for translation, how would you render the above verses into English?
>>>
>> Similar to Tyndale?
>>

> If this is your response (similar to Tyndale?), Karl, does the question
> mark signal reservations? If so, I would be very interested in knowing what
> they are.
>

>> Karl W. Randolph.
>>

> Steve Teague

Maybe similar to Tyndale, but only to make it smooth in English. In other
words, this is now an English question, not a Hebrew one.

If I were to translate it for my personal use, I’d simply write, “And God
said,‘Light become’ and light became.” Not very idiomatic English.