b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Piel or "stative usage of verb"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gerry Folbre <gfolbreiii AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Piel or "stative usage of verb"
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:52:49 -0600

I sent this earlier, but not to the b-hebrew lists. I've got it this time.

Karl:

Karl wrote: “I just did a quick electronic search of Tanakh and found that
the verb is

used only six times in Tanakh, five of them in context of a road or path.
Only one of them is it clear from the form that it is a piel. So from the
contexts, how do you know that the other five occurrences of the verb are
piels (remember, in this discussion, you cannot refer to the Masoretic
points)?

(Notice, I do not claim they are not piels, just ask for why I should
consider them piels.)”

Pr. 4:26 פלס מעגל רגלך וכל דרכיך יכנו׃

“Always make smooth the path of your feet; and all your journeys will be
directed securely.”

Pr. 5:21 כי נכח עיני יהוה דרכי אישׁ וכל מעגלתיו מפלס׃

“When in front of the eyes of yhwh are the ways of man; thus all their
courses of action are surely made level.”

In these two examples the intensive Pi’el verb conjugation appears to make
sense; Pr. 4:26 “Always {intensively} make smooth” and Pr. 5:21 “are surely
made level/smooth”.

The context of the verses themselves appears to direct the verb פלס to be
accepted as the intensive Pi’el.

At least that is my understanding of the text. Furthermore, I certainly
hope I have not made anymore typo's while transcribing the Hebrew Text.

Gerry Folbre