b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 16:1
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 21:00:29 -0700

On 28 Sep 2009 at 11:15, Dianne Burke wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>
> I wanted to thank you for your previous help in my discussions with
> my
> opponent regarding Samson. His arguments were so over the top, that
> I just
> didn't know where to begin. I know that this discussion list is
> not
> designed for the purpose of helping people who are debating others.
> So many
> thanks.
>
> My next question is still regarding Samson and it's a personal
> question.
>
> In my previous email, I asked about Judges 16:1
>
> I wrote:
>

> > >It has been brought up that Samson in Judges 16:1, did not
> actually have
> > >sexual intercourse with the harlot, yet from my understanding "he
> came on
> > >unto her" is an idiom used for sexual intercourse.
> > >

> Randall Buth responded:
>

> > Yes. That is what *"bo eleha"* means, and of course that is what a
> zona
> > prostitute does.
> > Again, a flawed character.
> >
> > blessings
> > Randall Buth
> >

> Unfortunately I don't have an online bible where I can see the
> Hebrew lined
> up with the English. I noticed in the www.blueletterbible.org that
> it only
> lists "bo" and not "eleha".
>
> Is there any significance to this omission?
>
> Does the Hebrew actually read "bo eleha"?

In a manner of speaking. It reads wayyabo' eleha. Same idea, different
grammatical form.
Wayyabo' is "he went" while "eleha" is a compound of two parts, "el" meaning
"to" or "into"
and "ha" meaning "her." The reason the Blue Letter Bible doesn't list this
word in its
Strong's material is because it's a specific grammatical form of a
preposition that appears
hundreds of times in the Hebrew Bible. Strong tended to omit such words from
his listings.

HTH,

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur