b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 14:19 ( She'ol & the Hades)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishinan" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Judges 14:19 ( She'ol & the Hades)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 01:25:18 -0500

James Christian wrote:

" .....for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in She´ol, the place to which you are going. (Ecclesisates 9:10)

Note that Hebrew She'ol is translated by Greek Hades the very word incorrectly translated as Hell in the Psalm your opponent is quoting from. She'ol is the common grave which we all go to when we die in the ideology presented in the Tanakh."

Ishinan's response:

If She'ol is incorrectly translated as "Hell" in the Psalm it is also wrongly rendered analogous to the Greek Hades.

Hades is described as the lord of the dead and ruler of the nether world (the abode of the dead), which is referred to as the domain of Hades. Hades sits on a throne made of ebony, and carries a scepter. He also has a helmet, given to him by the Cyclopes, which can make him invisible. Hades rules the dead, assisted by various (demonic) helpers. Although Hades does not allow his subjects to leave his domain, on several occasions, he granted his victims a retrieve. Plato's Cratylus discusses the etymology of the Hades extensively, with the character of Socrates asserting that the god's name is not from aiedes (unseen) as commonly thought, but rather from "his knowledge (eidenai) of all noble things".

While the Hebrew She'ol, has a totally different meaning, like its corresponding Arabic zu'wl,* it simply means passed away, ceasing to be or to exist, hence a reference to the state of nonexistence.

FYI, She'ol as a term has nothing to do with "sha'al", "to ask nor with "sha'al," the hollow of the hand.

Best regards

Ishinan Ishibashi

*If anyone wants to receive the JPEG of the dictionary entry please let me know privately, I'll be happy to oblige.