b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] El and Helios

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] El and Helios
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:44:34 +1000

I very much doubt this hypothesis. If there were another word for 'sun' in
Greek, then I think we could explore the possibility. But there isn't. Also,
there is no indication that I'm aware of that El had an association with the
sun. There is definitely an association with meteorites and sacred stones
(massebot), but not the sun. I think you would need to prove that El was a
personification of the sun, and I don't believe that's possible.

There is, however, a very likely connection between Adonis and Semitic
deities that carried the title 'adonai'.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au