b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] El and Helios

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: berlant AT advanced-studies.org
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] El and Helios
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:02:04 -0400

Greetings,

I happened to come across this thread while I was researching a related topic, and I was just wondering what people here thought of the possibility that El could have come into Gk as Helios or de-personified as helios, as all these words referred to the sun, light, and day', considering especially the following factors:

(1) The presence of unaspirated variants of Helios, aelios and eelios, in Doric, Aolic, Arcadian and Epic Greek
(3) The practice of referring to El as "The" God using Heb. "Ha," which could easily have led to Ha-el, and the subsequent loss of one of the vowels
(4) ) The ability of this etymology to explain the presence of an a-grade variant of Helios, Halios
(5) The virtually universal tendency to strengthen words beginning with vowels by aspirating them, especially in the formation of vocatives
(6) The presence of a number of monosyllabic Greek articles beginning with "*h", which could have led to *Hel or *Hal- through vowel loss and/or confusion with Heb. Ha-El
(7) The evidence that a number of groups (including the Phoenecians, The Philistines and the so-called Sea People) were traveling between the Levant and the Greek islands pre- and proto-historically, as well as historically.

Comments and criticisms would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stephen