b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Shanah Tovah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Shanah Tovah
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:52:37 +0300

Hi Karl,

You observed "You’re right, it would be rather difficult to make it a
conventional reading
group. A further difficulty for me is that I have read these chapters so
often therefore have so internalized their structure that I’d have
difficulty recognizing what may cause problems for others."

I've had a think about this and how we could do this to increase the
value of the archives of our discussions. I was thinking we could go
for a dialog style (Plato-Socrates kind of thing) where I play the
part of the dumb student (shouldn't be too hard, should come
naturally) and everybody else plays the part of the learned sages of
Biblical Hebrew.

Hi all (especially moderators and list owners),

I've been frequenting this list on and off for about 10 or so years
now and it is clear that there is a nucleus of list members who don't
feel restrained in contributing to the list. Perhaps, in some cases,
so much so that we know each other that well that we can second guess
great number of lurkers. While I don't have access to the list
membership I know this because over the years I've received many
emails and questions from list members who I've never seen contribute
to discussions.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that maybe because of the level of
discussion we usually hold here that beginners in Biblical Hebrew are
a little intimidated and find it difficult to enter discussions. This
is a shame because often it is the beginner who can see things from a
new and refreshing angle that we have never considered. I would like
to encourage wider participation in our discussions from beginners in
Biblical Hebrew. To this end, I intend to write to all divinity
departments in UK universities and promote our list to students of
Biblical Hebrew. Now would be an excellent time for beginners of
Biblical Hebrew to get involved and join in our reading of the Tanakh
from beginning to end.

So my basic questions are:

1) Who is with me? (Karl could you do something similar for US
universities? George in Australia?)

2) Who is against me? (do the moderators or owners of the list have
any objections to my proposal?)

James Christian