b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shanah Tovah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shanah Tovah
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:48:34 -0700

James:

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:52 AM, James Christian
<jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>

> I've had a think about this and how we could do this to increase the
> value of the archives of our discussions. I was thinking we could go
> for a dialog style (Plato-Socrates kind of thing) where I play the
> part of the dumb student (shouldn't be too hard, should come
> naturally) and everybody else plays the part of the learned sages of
> Biblical Hebrew.
>

> Sometimes, I get the feeling that maybe because of the level of
> discussion we usually hold here that beginners in Biblical Hebrew are
> a little intimidated and find it difficult to enter discussions. This
> is a shame because often it is the beginner who can see things from a
> new and refreshing angle that we have never considered.…
>
> So my basic questions are:
>
> 1) Who is with me? (Karl could you do something similar for US
> universities? George in Australia?)
>
> Sorry, I really can’t do the U.S. university scene. I’ve had all of two
semesters of first year Biblical Hebrew as an undergraduate sophomore in a
junior college, and nothing since, except I have read Tanakh through enough
times that I lost count (I did not know that one year of formal training was
not enough to read Tanakh). I have not been indoctrinated into the scholarly
stream of looking at Hebrew, which makes me in many ways more similar to the
beginning student who sees things from new and refreshing angles albeit with
a familiarity of the text beyond many scholars.