b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] And Elohim called light 'Day' and darkness hecalled night

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] And Elohim called light 'Day' and darkness hecalled night
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:36:37 +0300

Hi all,
thank you all for your answers. This has given me a lot of food for thought.
After listening to everybody's arguments I have begun to look on this as a
contrastive construct. What do people think of the following idiomatic
translation?

And while he named light 'Day' darkness he called 'Night'

Are there any other clear examples in the Tanakh which would support such an
understanding of this construction? Any parallel constructions in close
cognates? What about Mishnaic and Modern Hebrew?

Many thanks,
James Christian